Wednesday, August 18, 2010

K. R. Bridges Knows his Place

I'm not a physicist. I've read books on physics. I've read many books on physics, just because it's something that interests me. I know more about physics than the average lay person. But I'm not a physicist. Not even a little, tiny bit.

Now let's hear some physics from someone else who is not a physicist. His name is Bob Proctor, and he was on the film, The Secret. This quote is from that film.

"Think of this for a moment. Take your hand and look at it. Now your hand looks solid, but it's really not. If you put it under a proper microscope, you'd see a mass of energy vibrating."

That is actually not true. I don't necessarily think that Proctor is lying in this statement, he just doesn't fully understand what he's saying. Yes, it is true, from what I understand, that all the matter around us is, at a very very basic level, just energy. Einstein's most famous equation,  E=mc2, is a way of saying that a little tiny bit of matter is made up of enormous, unimaginable amounts of energy.

So, what was wrong with what Bob Proctor said? Well, the problem is that there is no microscope you can look into that's going to show you the energy basis of mass. It's not something we can see directly. No scientist, at any point, looked into a microscope and said, "Holy crap it's energy! Get Bob Proctor on the phone!"

So why am I nit-picking? I'm not. There are so many paranormal books out there, and articles, that shove physics in your face, but it's often not physics. It's an impostor. Little slip-ups like the one quoted above simply go to show a lack of familiarity with the subject. Physics is very complex, and often counter-intuitive. There's a lot to know, and this is why people get degrees in the subject. You should be very very cautious about listening to people that never got this degree. This includes myself.

Like I said, I am not a physicist, and very few of these authors are physicists. Do not treat them as if they are.

Modern physics, especially quantum physics, has a few things that, when partially understood, may remind someone of ESP. If two entangled particles can "communicate" at a distance, maybe that means Jamie and I can, too. Well, before your start telling everyone your idea, keep in mind, you aren't a physicist, either*. I am willing to leave science to the scientists, leave belief to the believers, and I'll sit at the computer and make my observations, for anyone who's willing to listen.

All I'm saying is, I know my place.

*This excludes physicists that may be reading this blog

No comments:

Post a Comment