Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The false truth about The Oregon Vortex -or- Where I got my favorite mug

I love magicians.  I'm very excited by the overall practice of illusion.  When a skeptic begins to doubt his/her beliefs, he/she need only to watch the performance of a particularly skilled stage magician, and keep in mind that every convincing thing that individual is doing conforms perfectly to what we know about how the world works, and at no point during the amazing spectacle is any kind of supernatural entity invoked, or magic spell cast.  It just goes to show how good some are at lying, and how easy a human being is to fool.  Stage magic is grounding, and disillusioning.  So to speak.

For a skeptical audience, the mention of illusionists may bring James Randi to mind, and I think that it's only a matter of time until I address the man, and his methods, in this blog.  So why not now? 

Randi is a skilled illusionist, a firm skeptic, and one of the more famous of the professional skeptical writers.  He's written a number of books on the topic of skepticism, and heads the James Randi Educational Foundation, which bills itself as "an educational resource on the paranormal, pseudoscientific, and the supernatural."  His organization offers a million dollar award to anyone that can prove paranormal abilities in a controlled setup.  The award remains unclaimed.   I'll write about the contest in another blog post.  The JREF home page is randi.org.  

I used to read James Randi's newsletter regularly.  He's obviously intelligent, and has a sharp wit, and his writing tends to be very entertaining.  As I read his work, though, and other skeptics to a lesser extent, there was something that kept nagging at me.  At the time (about seven years ago, when I was twenty-one) I was more likely to believe whatever I read, and I took Randi's debunkings as (may I use the word?) gospel.  But, sometimes, I would read an explanation, and I would think that it didn't quite cut the butter.  Then, in late 2003, Randi debunked The Oregon Vortex, and my whole view of him came tumbling down.

The Oregon Vortex is a so-called "mystery spot" in southern Oregon.  Mystery spots are areas where a person standing in one spot seems to be taller than when they're standing in another spot, a few feet away.  There are other reported anomalies, but the size change is the primary attraction, and it's what James Randi focused on in his article.  Randi explained the basics of forced perspective, where an individual will see something as being larger, even though it's actually just closer, and inversely, something further seems to be smaller.  How this applied to the Oregon Vortex was that, while the shapeshifting people seemed to be standing on either side of a rectangular board, they were actually standing on a skewed board, that only looked rectangular from a certain camera angle, and as they moved closer and further from the camera, on this skewed board, they seemed to grow or shrink.  He gave an example of this with spice jars and a piece of cardboard.

Case closed.

But it didn't work for me.  Not for a second.  I'd never been to the vortex (I actually hadn't heard of it before then) but very brief research confirmed what I thought, that The Oregon Vortex is a tourist spot.  The photos posted online were not taken by the employees, but by the visitors.  So I wondered why the only person that had noticed these skewed boards was somebody that had never been there.  In other words, no matter how much the skeptical writers called the tourists idiots and "woo-woos," I found it very hard to believe that nobody had noticed that the boards weren't squared.  In fact, it seemed obvious to me that this wasn't the case.  I wondered why it didn't seem obvious to everybody else, who were quoting and linking to Randi's newsletter.

Long story short, I became quickly disillusioned with this style of debunking after that, looking back through posts I had already read, and now easily recognizing what I've come to call "whack-a-mole" debunking.   It's quick, dirty, and entertaining, but it's unfortunately inaccurate from time to time.  Even more unfortunately, it's sometimes obviously inaccurate.  The kind of inaccurate that one doesn't have to leave the desk to recognize.  This kind of debunking is still practiced at the JREF, and is still very popular throughout the skeptical community, to my chagrin.  It proves nothing, and teaches nothing.  I'm all for educating the public about critical thinking, but to publicly avoid a real consideration of people's real beliefs is to put a bad face forward, and to make your own beliefs seem hard to defend.

Well, as an epilogue, I checked out The Oregon Vortex a couple of years later.  The tour guide had people stand on three different platforms that would change their sizes.  The first spot was quite convincing, though I didn't see much of anything on the other two.  I took careful note of the perfect rectangularity of the boards with a piece of paper I had.  I also noticed that the three boards didn't seem to radiate out from a central "vortex," which tells me that there was probably something afoot other than the bending of space-time.  There was no time for any kind of investigation during the tour, but I didn't leave in a bad spirits.  

I did, however, leave with a mug.







10 comments:

  1. We have a vortex in the town I live in. It is located on someone's driveway, the poor bastards.

    I wouldn't call the place famous, but somehow anyone who has grown up here knows about it or has been there.

    A friend took me out there once without telling me where we were going. I had never heard of the place before, one of the many disadvantages of growing up in the next town over.

    The driveway slopes downwards at a significant angle from the main road. We drove down to the main gate of the property and she told me to put the car in neutral. When I did, the car started backing up the hill!

    I could hardly believe it, so we did it a second time. Quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SPELL CASTER THAT CAN HELP BRING BACK EX LOVER AND MAKE YOU WIN BIG IN THE LOTTERY GAMES DRAW


      LOVE SPELL CASTER (DR.OGUDU) THAT HELPED ME BRING BACK MY EX HUSBAND VIEW WEBSITE:http://oguduspelltemple.webs.com/ CONTACT HIM NOW FOR ANY KIND OF HELP

      Worlds are not enough to express my profound gratitude to DR OGUDU It's unbelievable how fortunate I feel after finding your website. For the past 8 months, I have been so depressed after losing my husband to another woman. My financial situation got worsened so much that I thought I would,ve to file for bankruptcy. I had a huge amount of debt and I didn't know what to do. Out of complete and total desperation, I contacted many of those so-called individuals who promised powerful magic, witchcraft or black magic. None of them worked and none were as wonderful, affectionate and warm as DR OGUDU has been. He is definitely different from the others and I felt immediate hope and strength from hearing about the promises he had to offer. He carries an air of purity and divine strength that is as pure as fresh snow on the ground. I requested DR OGUDU most powerful spells and I was relieved right away that I had someone to solve my problems for me. His spells worked wonders and I am now back with my husband and my money troubles resolved itself after winning the lottery. DR OGUDU, I have no idea what I would have done without you being there to help me out. you can contact him via email

      [OGUDUSPELLTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM] OR [OGUDUSPELLCAST@GMAIL.COM]
      whatsapp number +2348106058254
      WEBSITE-----http://oguduspelltemple.webs.com/
      BLOGGER PAGE........http://drogudu.blogspot.com.ng/

      Delete
  2. Very strange. I'd love to see it. I'm sure the people living there wouldn't appreciate tourists, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is really nothing to see. It's just a long dirt driveway. At the bottom of the hill there is a big cattle gate that closes off the fenced-in area of the house. It is rocky desert all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an illusion. Much like The Haunted Railroad Crossing. It looks like an up hill incline, but when surveyed by professionals it's actually a 2 degree decline.

      Delete
  4. Well, I'd at least like to see something rolling uphill. Sounds rather dangerous to the uninitiated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little late to the game, but I just came across your article and find it refreshing. Most skeptics are so set in their ways they're hard to talk to, but you really seem to be an open-minded skeptic, looking for proof, not just debunking everything that doesn't fit in your view. I appreciate that. As for the vortex, I hope to visit and see for myself one day:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is where you lose me. " I took careful note of the perfect rectangularity of the boards with a piece of paper I had. I also noticed that the three boards didn't seem to radiate out from a central "vortex," which tells me that there was probably something afoot other than the bending of space-time." You just based that statement on Randi's example of spice jars and cardboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SPELL CASTER THAT CAN HELP BRING BACK EX LOVER AND MAKE YOU WIN BIG IN THE LOTTERY GAMES DRAW


    LOVE SPELL CASTER (DR.OGUDU) THAT HELPED ME BRING BACK MY EX HUSBAND VIEW WEBSITE:http://oguduspelltemple.webs.com/ CONTACT HIM NOW FOR ANY KIND OF HELP

    Worlds are not enough to express my profound gratitude to DR OGUDU It's unbelievable how fortunate I feel after finding your website. For the past 8 months, I have been so depressed after losing my husband to another woman. My financial situation got worsened so much that I thought I would,ve to file for bankruptcy. I had a huge amount of debt and I didn't know what to do. Out of complete and total desperation, I contacted many of those so-called individuals who promised powerful magic, witchcraft or black magic. None of them worked and none were as wonderful, affectionate and warm as DR OGUDU has been. He is definitely different from the others and I felt immediate hope and strength from hearing about the promises he had to offer. He carries an air of purity and divine strength that is as pure as fresh snow on the ground. I requested DR OGUDU most powerful spells and I was relieved right away that I had someone to solve my problems for me. His spells worked wonders and I am now back with my husband and my money troubles resolved itself after winning the lottery. DR OGUDU, I have no idea what I would have done without you being there to help me out. you can contact him via email

    [OGUDUSPELLTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM] OR [OGUDUSPELLCAST@GMAIL.COM]
    whatsapp number +2348106058254
    WEBSITE-----http://oguduspelltemple.webs.com/
    BLOGGER PAGE........http://drogudu.blogspot.com.ng/

    ReplyDelete