Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fabrication Post - October 5, 2010

The following is not true.

When I was a kid, I had a friend that everyone thought was pretty strange, but being that I was a bit of a geek, and a bit outside of any recognized social circles, we got along fine.  His name was Darren, and I didn't think he was strange at all.  I was friends with him until I was about twelve, and he ended up moving with his parents to Arizona, and I never really heard from him again.  The internet wasn't really a thing at the time, and I wasn't one to write letters.  Our friendship ended the way friendships ended for me during childhood, quickly and cleanly.

Well, I was visiting my mom about a month ago, and I found an old picture from a birthday party, and there was Darren.  I had completely forgotten about him until I saw that picture.  Especially the way that he looked.  There was something a little off about it his face, which I hadn't really noticed when I was a kid, but everyone else had.  I guess he was probably handicapped in one way or another.  Not Downs Syndrome, but something that changes the way you look.  His eyes were too big.

The strangest part about seeing his face again is that I realized I have been dreaming about Darren pretty frequently.  For instance, I had a dream that I was driving a small car across an impossibly long, impossibly tall bridge, and he was the guy that was sitting next to me, talking to me.  Or, in one dream I was playing tennis, and he was the guy watching.  Not exciting dreams, but my point is that I had completely forgotten about this kid, and now the grown-up version of him is appearing in just about every dream I have.

One thing I have noticed is that, if this guy touches me in my dream, let's say he reaches out and pokes my arm, I wake up sore in that spot.  I sometimes get bruises, or little triangular dots where he contacted me in a dream.  Of course, I'm sure the mind can create bruising as well as it can do anything else, but it's unnerving.  I've been waking up after a full night's sleep feeling dead tired lately, barely able to do my blog, barely able to shower or even eat breakfast. And when I think about it, all I can think about is Darren, with the big eyeballs and the small chin.  Thinking about him makes me feel nervous, and I'm not entirely sure why.  I have this urge to move out of town, to escape my dreams, which doesn't make a ton of sense, but the urge is strong.  

I found his Facebook profile last week, and there he is, just like in my dreams.  He moved back to town, and works as a truck driver.  In his profile picture, he's sitting in front of his computer desk, the picture not taken with a webcam, but taken with the computer sitting in the background.  You can see out the window behind him, and the strange thing is that it almost looks like his house is where my house should be.  As in, you can see my across-the-street neighbor, with the blue mailbox with flowers growing out of it, and the little yeild sign with the squirrels on it, and it looks like they're right across the street from him.  It's just a couple of little centimeters in the corner of the image, but I've racked my brain over it a lot.

I haven't got the balls yet to add him, but I'm sure it's inevitable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment